The last few days have been bananas. As many of you already know, I tend to lose my priorities with blogging when I get bogged down with other responsibilities.
On Thursday I learned that it is possible to have the shit beaten out of you. Yes, literally. I almost stepped in it when attempting to clear the crowd to break up the affray. It was one of those “just when I thought I had seen it all” moments that I will write in more detail about some day … when I quit gagging.
On Friday I learned that more than 20 staff members can and will call in sick on the same day without thinking of how much stress they leave the rest of us who already had full calendars.
On Saturday I learned that volunteering for home visits to get teenagers to “reclaim their futures” often means encountering ganja-filled living spaces houses and fathers who are drunker than Cooter Brown before noon.
Today I learned that it is a new week, and anything is possible if you “Dream big, and dream fierce.”
“A great teacher can offer an escape from poverty to the child who dreams beyond his circumstance. Every person in this chamber can point to a teacher who changed the trajectory of their lives. Most teachers work tirelessly, with modest pay, sometimes digging into their own pocket for school supplies – just to make a difference. Teachers matter. So instead of bashing them, or defending the status quo, let’s offer schools a deal. Give them the resources to keep good teachers on the job, and reward the best ones. In return, grant schools flexibility: To teach with creativity and passion; to stop teaching to the test; and to replace teachers who just aren’t helping kids learn.”
As a former teacher and a current school administrator, I cannot articulate how appreciative I am to live in a country where our leader values educators. Let us all lead by his example and make a difference now.
Your Native American Name Is: Nukpana Pakuna
Your name means: Evil Deer Jumping Downhill
The idealist in me often has high expectations of others. They are not unrealistic ones, yet people continue to disappoint me. Admitting it is the first step; however, I am not ready to make nice over the fact that several of my so-called “friends” and “family” did not acknowledge my birthday yesterday. This is for all y’all heifers who forgot.
You seemed surprised when I found the empty bottle of vodka in your backpack. You thought that was the “perfect place” for it. You “drank it for breakfast on the way to school” and from a Gatorade bottle during your semester exam for algebra. Instead of filling out your scantron answer sheet, you scribbled a drunken love note to some boy who”probably does not know you exist. You drooled on the desk. You literally had to be carried to the office. You lost control of your bladder while fumbling with the door handle to the restroom. You stated that you have been drinking for a long time … since you were 12. You are only 16 now. Your mom sent you to the grocery store to purchase tomatoes. You “jacked a bottle of vodka” while you were there to share with your sister if she promised not to snitch. You drank the entire bottle by yourself because your sister is a “goody.” You know your parents are going to be “hella mad.” You know that your dad is going to beat your ass and “then he’s going to beat it again.” You probably will not remember talking to the stapler on the desk. You named him Fred. You told everyone, including Fred, that you loved them “always and forever.” You cried when you saw your “Mami.” You probably will have the worst hangover ever. You will live, but will you learn?
(I don’t remember from who I appropriated this. It’s been in my drafts folder forever.)
1. I am thinking … about taking a photography class or joining a photography group.
2. I am thankful for … an efficient secretary after a year of an absentee one.
3. From the kitchen … of Jan(e), deer sausage was smothered and covered with the Holy Trinity.
4. I am wearing … a school production West Side Story t-shirt and gray yoga pants.
5. I am creating … a master, sinister plan for world domination.
6. I am going … to get a weekend getaway sooner than later by hook or by crook.
7. I am reading … Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.
8. I am hoping … Booger finishes this semester (his last) on a positive note with a job offer in May.
9. I am hearing … you, but I am not listening to you.
10. Around the house … are signs that the Holy Terrors let us live here with them.
11. One of my favorite things … is a rainy day with no where to go and nothing to do.
12. A few plans for the rest of the week … finishing four expulsion packets, a possible mani pedi, a Pampered Chef party, football, double date night, and my 41st birthday.
13. A picture to share …